Sunday, June 8, 2008

Questions to ask Coaches/Recruiters

Academics and Eligibility

What percentage of players on scholarship graduate?
What is the current team's grade point average?
What academic support programs are available to student athletes?
How many credit hours should I take in season and out of season?
What pace do I need to follow to obtain my degree on time?
Are there restrictions in scheduling classes around practice?
Is summer school available?
If I need to take summer school classes, will it be paid by the college?
If I have a diagnosed and documented disability, what kind of academic services are available?
How much time is spent in class, practice, study and travel?

Recruiting

What position will I play on your team?
What other players may be competing at the same position?
What year in school are those players?
Who else are you recruiting for my position?
Will I be redshirted my first year?
When does the head coach's contract end?
How long does the coach intend to stay?
How would you best describe your head coach's coaching style?
What expectations do you have for training and conditioning?
If I'm seriously injured while competing, who is responsible for my medical expenses?
Is medical insurance provided by the college?
Is medical insurance required for my participation?
What are preferred, invited and uninvited walk-on situations?
How many earn scholarships?

Scholarship/Financial Aid

Exactly how much will my athletic scholarship be?
What will and will not be covered?
How long does my scholarship last?
Under what circumstances would my scholarship would be reduces or canceled?
Are the academic criteria tied to maintaining the scholarship?
Will my scholarship cover summer school?
What scholarship money is available after eligibility is exhausted to help me complete my degree?
Who is financially responsible if I am injured while competing?
What scholarship money is available if I suffer an athletic career-ending injury?
Will my scholarship remain if there is a head coaching change?
What are my opportunities for employment while I am a student athlete?
Can I work during the season, out of season or during vacation periods?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Most high school students are not adequately prepared before going on a recruiting trip or following up with a potential coach. At www.CollegiateAthleteConsultant.com - Collegiate Athlete Consultant, this is one of our biggest priorities as we prepare high school athletes through the entire recruiting process.